The Building Bridges project aims to inspire students to explore the science that shapes their lives and help build students' scientific literacy through activities and resources that:
- Raise awareness of skills that are used and developed through doing science.
- Highlight the applications of science in everyday life.
- Introduce people who use science in their work.
- Provide opportunities for students to reflect and discuss science at home to promote the relevance of science in their lives and communities.
Students from Fulham Boys School practising their science presentations during our outreach visit.
- School outreach - we visit participating schools to introduce the project, deliver a science show and a science communication workshop.
- Science Museum visit - we welcome participating schools into the Science Museum for a day of exclusive activities including working with scientists and searching the Museum collection.
- Teacher CPD - we develop exclusive resources for teachers to use with their students to ensure that they get the most from their involvement with the project, and to ensure that the activities on the project can be disseminated to students who have not been directly involved.
- Family engagement - we provide students with activities to do at home with their families across the year. At the end of the year we invite participating project teachers and students, together with their families and friends, to the Museum for a huge party. Here families can see what the students have done and can take part in exclusive and exciting activities, with the help of some special guests. More information for families can be found on the Building Bridges Parent Information webpage.
- Academic research - we are working with University College London to understand how museums, schools and families can best work together to support students in science learning.
Families making SM:Art Mechanics at the 2015 party.
Who can take part?
Building Bridges is an externally funded project, currently working with non-fee-paying schools in the London boroughs of Brent, Kensington and Chelsea, Southwark, Wandsworth, Westminster, Hammersmith and Fulham and selected schools in the area of Reading.
If you would like to find out more please contact Anna Fisher on 020 7942 4758.