Help your students make a personal connection with the science that shapes their lives, and to see science as something that's for them.
Here at the Science Museum we have a wealth of experience engaging diverse audiences and igniting their curiosity in science. Our teacher courses, delivered by our experienced training team, share our philosophy and our practical, effective approaches for engaging students with science both inside and outside the classroom.
All our courses are hands-on and you’ll leave with ideas and all the resources you need to apply the techniques in your own practice straight away.
Selected courses – including the dates below – are free until December 2017. All materials, lunch and refreshments will be provided.
Science engagement course
Our secrets to creating engaging science learning experiences. You’ll find this course full of practical ideas for the classroom and beyond. We believe in the importance of linking classroom learning to students’ everyday lives and the experiences that matter to them, to help demonstrate the relevance and potential of science - and this course will help you generate ideas to do just that.
- Mystery Boxes, a hands-on activity exploring how science works
- How to apply our 'Hook, Inform, Enable, Extend' approach for planning engaging activities
- Facilitating effective discussions and building students' enquiry skills with our 'See, Link, Wonder' method
- For Secondary teachers: 5 July 2017 at Science Museum, London, 10am - 4pm
- For Primary teachers: 22 November 2017 at Science Museum, London, 10am - 4pm
- For Primary teachers: 24 November 2017 at the Museum of Science and Industry, Manchester, 10am - 4pm
Science beyond the classroom course
How to maximise opportunities for learning science outside school. Packed with practical ideas to get the most from a visit to a museum, gallery, science centre, and more, this course will also support you in using the impact of these experiences to enhance your classroom teaching.
- Practical advice for planning a visit
- Hands-on activities you can use during a visit
- How to embed the experience into your classroom teaching
- Developing your facilitation skills and confidence in using museum objects, and helping students build their enquiry skills and make links to their own lives
For Primary and Secondary teachers.
- 30 June 2017 at Science Museum, London, 10am - 4pm
Discussion in the classroom – secondary only
Get your students talking about science. This course will help you plan and facilitate engaging classroom discussions about contemporary science that everyone can participate in. Help students find their own voice and the confidence to have a say.
- Hook your students in with powerful questions that make topics relevant to their lives
- How to structure a group discussion to make sure everyone can take part
- Facilitation skills to help you keep a discussion going
- Sticky moments and how to deal with them
Please contact us at the email address below if you are interested in attending this course.
How to book
Please complete a booking form and email it to email@example.com