Wilhelm Wundt (1832-1920)
Wilhelm Max Wundt was born at Neckarau near Mannheim on 16 August 1832. After studying medicine at Tübingen and Heidelberg, he worked with Hermann von Helmholtz. He became a professor of physiology at Heidelberg, but when he was passed over for Helmholtz’s chair, he switched from physiology to psychology. Wundt was given a chair at Leipzig in 1875. Four years later he set up the world’s first psychological laboratory. His main interest was the study of consciousness. Wundt died at Grossbothen, south-east of Leipzig, on 31 August 1920.