First time out
Five objects that have never been displayed before. Each treasure from a museum collection tells a story that hasn’t been told until now. But which story?
Objects tell us about past environments, cultures, innovations and events. But they tell different stories depending on your perspective. What happens when you take something from one museum and ask experts from other museums to write the story?
First Time Out is a collaboration between five London museums:
• Horniman Museum – anthropological objects and musical instruments
• Royal Botanic Gardens, Kew – plant diversity, conservation and sustainable use
• Natural History Museum – the science of nature
• Science Museum – making sense of the science that shapes our lives
• Wellcome Collection – the art and science of the human condition
Each object is on display at each institution for six weeks. View the pages below to find out where and when to see them. How would you interpret the lemur skull, the Japanese wood panel or the psychologist’s toys?