Nolan's best film so far. A visceral piece of film-making ★★★★★ Guardian
Incredible, particularly on the vast expanse of an IMAX screen ★★★★★ Empire
It is a dazzling spectacle that demands to be seen on the silver screen ★★★★★ Daily Mail
Astonishing...demands to be seen on the best and biggest screen within reach ★★★★★ Daily Telegraph
Screenings from 21 July
Starring Cillian Murphy, Kenneth Branagh, Mark Rylance, Tom Hardy and Harry Styles.
Award-winning director and modern-day pioneer of 70mm film, Christopher Nolan brings his unique vision to a defining moment in history.
From 26 May–4 June 1940 an extraordinary and unprecedented evacuation took place. Surrounded by the German army, 400,000 Allied soldiers became trapped on Dunkirk beach following a fierce battle in World War II. From military vessels to tiny fishing crafts, more than 800 boats set sail from the shores of England in a desperate effort to save the troops. They couldn’t get home, so home came to them.
Join us at the Science Museum to experience the intense and breathtaking Dunkirk on one of the biggest screens in the UK. We recommend booking early as demand is expected to be high.
Why see it at our IMAX Theatre?
- We are screening Dunkirk in 15/70mm IMAX film format. Experience 10 times the image quality, resolution and sound than you would at a conventional digital cinema.
- Our independent cinema has one of the largest screens in the UK. It's almost double the size of those found at large cinema chains, measuring 16.8m from floor to ceiling and 24.3m from wall to wall. That's the height of four double-decker buses or a car park for 64 taxis.
- Every ticket bought helps support the Science Museum's work to inspire the next generation of scientists and engineers.
Important booking information
- The entrance for 19.30 screenings is at the Science Museum Library/Wellcome Wolfson Building, 165 Queen's Gate, SW7 5HE. See Google Streetview. Please note this is not the main Science Museum entrance on Exhibition Road.
- The 20.00 screening on Wednesday 26 July is part of our Lates event and is for ages 18+. The theme this month is Conflict, Casualties and Care.
- The film's sound was designed by Christopher Nolan to put viewers right in the middle of the action. It is very loud and may not be suitable for people with hearing problems.